Sunday, September 26, 2010

My First Week As a Mom!

Time flies! I can't believe Harper is already a week old! It went by so fast. It was such an incredible first week. Last Saturday, September 18th, I went into Spartanburg Regional Hospital. Somehow Erik and I stayed pretty calm. You hear horror stories about giving birth, everyone seems to have one when you are pregnant, but I knew I would be fine and I was just so excited to meet my baby that I think I was able to relax.



We were fully prepared. We packed our bags weeks ago and had them ready to go in the back of his jeep. When we arrived at the hospital we were greeted by a wonderful group of nurses. They were all amazing and very helpful. They made me feel comfortable and at ease. I think it takes a very special person to be a nurse and I really admire all of the folks the nursing field! I don't know how they do it.

The first few hours of contractions were painful but not as horrible as I expected. I found I liked squeezing the sheets on the hospital bed. Erik sprayed my face with Maclaren Balancing Facial Mist and that helped me relax some. I kept the Clemson vs. Auburn game on in the room too and it helped to have the distraction from the pain. (I think Erik enjoyed having the baby on a Saturday! He was able to watch college football all day long.)


I decided to go ahead and get an epidural. Ladies, if you are even questioning whether or not you should get one, I would definitely recommend it! After I received the epidural I was able to enjoy the experience and soak it all in. I don't think I could have really enjoyed it and stayed so happy and excited if I tried to go without it.

I started feeling some pain again when I was 8cm dialated. I progressed much faster than we originally expected. So I was a little worried that I felt pain but the doctor came in and checked and said it was because I was about to have my baby! I think that is when reality sunk in. Erik's look on his face was priceless. He was like, wait already!? So the pushing began. I was told that I am one heck of a "pusher." Haha. The nurses and doctors seemed very impressed. After about 30 minutes of pushing, Harper arrived! Erik was brave and cut the umbilical cord. He was nervous about cutting it beforehand but I think after he watched his baby being born his fears went away. Harper came out crying, opened his eyes and took a look around. He was perfect! Happy, healthy, and beautiful! He weighed 7 pounds and 3 ounces and was 20 inches long. The first time I held him I was completely in awe. I thought I would be bawling like a baby but I actually smiled from ear to ear the entire time. It was such an amazing experience and was better than I could have ever imagined. The first time your little baby looks up at you, it is the most amazing feeling- your heart just melts and right then and there you know your life is never going to be the same- it is going to be a million times better.


Harper just woke up from his nap so I better go tend to this hungry little man. I will try to post about the rest of my experience tomorrow!


Jaime
Of all the blessings God sends from above, the one most precious is a new baby to love.

17 comments:

  1. Congratulations. Sounds like you had a beautiful experience. Happy 1 week to Harper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a champ Mommy! Harper is gorgeous, I am so proud of you. We can't wait to meet him! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot get over how beautiful he is! I'm so glad your experience was great and had wonderful clinicians by your side!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! That is so exciting and Harper is such a stud! Good luck with everything and can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy that you had a wonderful experience Harper is adorable!!! HHL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love hearing your amazingly beautiful story! Thank you for sharing!! Harper is precious :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad everything went smoothly!! I forgot you were so close...I'm in Greenwood! My sis-in-law is a nurse at Spartanburg Regional :) Hope everything continues to go well!! Harper is beautiful!! Being a Mama gets better and better every day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! I am glad everything went well! He is so precious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is absolutely beautiful!! Congratulations to you and Erik.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always said, kudos to those ladies who go through with natural birth, but I'll never do it!!! I'll be that girl in the hospital screaming GIVE ME SOME EFFING DRUGS! haha

    Congratulations again, he really is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, wishing you the very best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats Jaime! So happy for you and Erik. Harper is just precious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! Harper is beautiful! You and DH are very blessed! :-) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  15. congrats, what an amazing story :) welcome baby harper!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity