Saturday, October 16, 2010

Where did the month go!?

Harper is one month old! I can't believe it. I feel like the whole month is kind of a blur. Partially because of sleep deprivation and partially because the time went by so fast. I am happy to say he is doing fantastic.


He is growing and I would guess is over 8 pounds now (he gets weighed on Monday.) This past Monday he was 7 pounds and 11 ounces. He gained 11 ounces in one week!! My child can EAT!! The doctor said the "normal" amount of time a baby nurses per feeding is 12-15 minutes. Harper prefers 30 minutes and sometimes he still downs 2 ounces of formula an hour after. It is really impressive. Just like his daddy, he can eat and eat and still stays slim and trim. Glad daddy passed him those genes! Normally babies get back to their birthweight when they turn two weeks old. Then they typically gain one ounce per day. Well Harper was underweight that first checkup and unfortunately even with his tremendous amount of growth this past week, he is still considered about an ounce underweight. So I have to feed him often. I really hope by Monday he is where he needs to be!


I am still sticking in there with the breast feeding. It is not getting any easier but I have convinced myself that it will soon! I hope that time comes and much needed rest comes with it. I think Harper would actually sleep a good bit through the night but right now I am waking him up during the wee hours of the morning for his feedings. I really have no idea how long he will stay asleep on his own.  Four hours would be FABULOUS!

Baby battle of the week- My husband and I are trying to determine when Harper should sleep in his nursery in the crib. Right now he sleeps in the Snuggle Nest in between us in bed. Sweet Auntie Caroline got Harper the Snuggle Nest and he LOVES it! I love it because it makes it easy to feed him throughout the night, I honestly can't imagine having to get out of bed every few hours to go feed him in the nursery. And I like knowing he is right next to me so I know he is safe and breathing well throughout the evening. Not to mention, he holds my hand when we sleep and I think it is the sweetest thing ever! But my husband has been told by several people that the baby should make the transition to the crib as soon as possible. What do you all think? Any good mommy advice would be appreciated!

He sticks one arm out so we can hold hands. Love him!! 
Last week was a great week, CAROLINA BEAT ALABAMA. We looked amazing. I think I was actually in shock for the first few hours after the game but when it sank in I was thrilled.

This week... not so much. We lost to Kentucky in true "Gamecocks blow it in the last quarter" fashion. It was miserable and I think Spurrier made a horrible call when he decided to try to go for a touchdown at the end of the game. Personally, I would have gone for the field goal. Spencer would have had that, no problem. Then you tie it up and win in OT. Today was a sad day for gamecock fans!!

Well I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. I am off to... you guessed it, feed the baby! :)

14 comments:

  1. My baby is 2 months old and my hubby and I have the same discussion frequently! I'VE decided that he will go to his crib when he is sleeping through the night consistently...which is soon :( yay ,for sleeping through the night, but boo, this makes me sad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They grow with lightning speed, don't they? Treasure every moment! Kudos to you for sticking with breastfeeding! It's the best thing you can ever do for your baby. It will get easier with time.

    Your kiddie is adorable! Look at those big, brown eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son slept in our room until he was 5 months old and sleeping through the night. He didn't sleep in our bed tho. If you dont want to have a 9 year old in your bed I suggest easing him into his own sleeping space sooner rather than later. My son slept in our room in a moses basket until we just moved the whole thing to his own room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harper is so precious .. beautiful baby!!! Since we have not been blessed with a little bundle of joy (though we know it will be)I'm not sure - but as some one who loves children.. I would say keep him with you as long as possible. I see my friends children and they grow so fast!!!

    Hope you get the 4 hour intervals soon... XO HHL

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is adorable!!! Glad you're doing pretty good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scout is 3 months old and she still sleeps in our room in her bassinet. She has been sleeping through the night for a while now but her room is on the opposite end of the house and I just like having her close for now. The important thing is to remember that you need to do what you feel most comfortable with and don't worry about everyone elses opinion. We will probably start putting her in her room in the next couple of months but they are only babies for a brief time so I am not stressed about it. Anyway....those are my two cents. Harper is adorable too by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get him in his room as soon as you can. My goal was to get Bryce sleeping in her crib by the 4th week. I started on the 3rd week by nursing her in the room every afternoon and at night. Will put her down in her crib a few days later and she was fine. You just have to make sure they know their room isn't a place where you banish them for hours at a time and make sure to go in it a lot so it smells like mommy and daddy. We slept with Bryce's blankets for 3 weeks before she could have our scent with her when she napped.

    Good luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of the snuggle nest!! Baby #2 is actually due tomorrow, but if it doesn't show up on it's own, we are going to be induced Wednesday! But I am definitely going to find that snuggle nest to help with nursing at night, how nice! Now, for "mommy advice", even though I am no expert, haha! I nursed for 6 weeks with my first and for no apparent reason, my flow just stopped. I tried lots of things but my worry about Beau getting what he needs made me switch to formula. In the early weeks, I remember being exhausted also and we also had to feed every TWO hours the first month! I feel ya, girl, it is rough. But I did get to move on to an easier schedule before the milk went away, and life was pretty smooth! I could go places and plan well and even sleep a little longer! I agree with others who say that you do what is best for you! Don't worry about moving him until you are ready! Beau's nursery is upstairs and I didn't move him for months just for convenience. When you get to that time, I suggest a consistent, predictable routine for bedtime and it won't matter where he sleeps because he will be used to your plan! GOOD LUCK! I love reading your blog and hope things continue to go well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We kept my son in the room next to us in a bassinet for 3 months. He still wasn't sleeping through the night (and we actually had a lot of unnecessary trouble with that...) so we moved to the spare bedroom next to him...and I would still get up and feed him. But, it is possible for him to sleep through the night by 10-12 weeks...and like many others have said...the sooner the better. For y'all and for him. If you want any advice on sleeping through the night... I would love to share my experiences. I will definitely be doing things differently the second time around. Hope breastfeeding gets easier soon... I breastfed for 6 1/2 months...and it was very hard, but I'd do it again for my baby!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Harper is just precious. Look at those big, beautiful brown eyes. Happy to hear y'all doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. First things first, GO CATS! We are usually the 4th-quarter failures, so it's nice to be on the other side for once. We had lost to you guys for 10 straight years, so we were ready to end that streak! I'm sorry you had to lose but I sure am glad we got a win!

    Now on to sweet Harper. We started both of our boys in a bassinet and moved them into their own crib at about 6-8 weeks. It is important to get them into their own bed but I think it's just a personal preference as to exactly when to do it. I transitioned using a sleep positioner (Sawyer still uses it), so they would stay still and not wake themselves up flailing all over the place. Once they move into their crib, I just feed on demand. You're doing a great job! Keep up the good work (:

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh, I'm honestly glad that I missed the Gamecocks this weekend :-/ I heard about the game though, so disappointing.

    I'm not a mom so I don't know what to tell you about Harper sleeping in the bed with you. However...you need to do what feels right to YOU guys and not what other people tell you :) I have friends whose baby is about 10 months old and he still sleeps in the bed with them, always has, and he's the sweetest happiest baby. That's the only "experience" I have with a situation like that ::shrug::

    ReplyDelete
  13. wOW that was a fast month!! I say what works for you works for you- my daughter was a great sleeper for the first year of her life- we moved into a new house and she could not settle in her new room- it was easy for us to just let her sleep with us so we could all go to bed- it took me until she was 5 to get her trained to sleep in her own room- but wouldnt trade a minute of it... they grow up too fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoy reading your post and the answers to your questions. I have the same questions. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity