Monday, February 20, 2012

What's the Dill, Pickle?




I was on a Pinterest kick yesterday. Between outfit ideas, room designs, craft projects and recipes, Pinterst could keep me busy for years. I decided to dabble in a bit of everything. One recipe I have been eyeing for months is from the "One Perfect Bite" blog.  It is a recipe for refrigerator dill pickles that originated from Bobby Flay. Growing up, I was spoiled with my Nana's homemade pickles, applesauce, jam... you name it! I always wanted to make my own but I never got around to it. I decided to give it a shot.

The recipe is very simple to follow! The only trouble I came across was locating dill seeds. Publix did not have them. So I substituted the seeds with dill weed. And honestly, I wonder if it was a typo on the original recipe? Any one out there ever purchased dill seeds? If so, where did you find them?

One more thing, if you are not very familiar with different types of cucumbers, I learned "kirby cucumbers" are the small ones at Publix that are labeled "salad cucumbers." They are a short, versatile cucumber that is used for both slicing and pickling.  It's small, with bumpy yellow or green skin. 

Ingredients:
  • 1-1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
  • 1/4 to 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 4 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
  • 3/4 teaspoon dill seeds 
  • 2 cups hot water
  • 2 pounds kirby cucumbers, sliced 1/4-inch thick
  • 3/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh dill
  • 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
Directions:


1) Combine vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard seeds, coriander seeds and dill seeds in a heatproof bowl. Add hot water and stir until sugar dissolves and liquid is clear. Cool to room temperature.



2) Place cucumbers, garlic and dill in a large bowl. Toss to combine. Pour brine over all and turn to coat cucumbers. Cover them with a plate to weigh them down and keep them covered in brine. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight, stirring once or twice. Transfer to an airtight container and store for up to two weeks. Yield: 1 quart.



I made enough for three small Ball jars. YUMMY! They are awesome. It is a very similar flavor to the store bought dill pickles but they taste super fresh. I would highly recommend this recipe and my hubby agrees. These pickles will last in the refrigerator for about two weeks. Make a batch and give some to friends! Enjoy 


5 comments:

  1. That is really neat. I have never made anything that can be preserved so this is just really cool to me! Great picture of the jars too :) Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMM thanks Jamie for posting this! I just pinned these and I am SOOOO going to make some soon! :) Perfect for spring/summer snacks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummmm! I have some mason jars that are begging me to do the same thing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love pickles. I keep pinning fried pickles but I think I may have to pin this instead. I could do without the frying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pickles so this looks beyond amazing to me!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity